Meet Dr. David W. Richardson
Board Certified Prosthodontist & Dental Implant Dentist – Charleston, South Carolina
Dr. Richardson is certified by the American Board of Prosthodontics and is based in Charleston, South Carolina. Dr. Richardson specializes in providing dental implant based “Smile Makeovers” for people who have damaged or missing teeth.
Dr. Richardson is a Board Certified expert in restoring people’s teeth, providing them with attractive smiles utilizing state-of-the-art dental implant prosthetics such as fixed implant dentures, removable implant dentures, dental implants, crowns, dental bridges and others.
If you have questions or need an appointment, call Dr. Richardson’s office at 843-766-5333.
Q: What is a Prosthodontist?
A: A Prosthodontist is a dentist with additional education in the restoration and replacement of missing teeth as well as a wide variety of other esthetic and cosmetic procedures.
Prosthodontics is one of only nine dental specialties recognized by the American Dental Association (ADA).
Q: What does it mean to be Board Certified in Prosthodontics?
A: After completing an accredited residency program, Prosthodontists have the option of applying for Board certification in the specialty. The process, which is administered by the American Board of Prosthodontics, is similar to that in other dental and medical fields.
Subsequent to completing a comprehensive written examination, candidates must present three patient cases and defend their diagnosis, treatment, and results to a panel of examiners, all of whom are experienced Board Certified Prosthodontists.
After successfully challenging the multipart process, which requires approximately four years, the Prosthodontist becomes certified and is recognized as a Diplomate of the American Board of Prosthodontics. To maintain their certification, Diplomates must demonstrate their commitment to their continuing professional education by attending or presenting scientific lectures or publishing articles or textbook chapters.
Q: Experts in Diagnosis and Treatment
A: Because of their additional education and training, Prosthodontists are experts in diagnosis, treatment planning and restorative procedures. Your Prosthodontist can restore your oral function and improve the esthetic appearance of your smile through:
- Replacement of broken, worn, or decayed teeth with crowns, veneers or inlays
- Placement of implant crowns and prostheses
- Replacement of missing teeth with bridges
- Fabricating removable dentures
- Restoration of the occlusion
- Management of TMJ disorders and bruxism
Maxillofacial Prosthodontists also manage congenital or developmental defects; traumatic injuries; and abnormalities resulting from cancer surgery, radiation, or chemotherapy treatment.
Doctor Richardson’s Credentials:
- Private Practice of Prosthodontics in Charleston, SC, since 1999
- Associate Professor of Prosthodontics, College of Dental Medicine, Medical University S.C.
- Associate Professor of Prosthodontics, School of Dentistry, Medical College of Georgia
- Director of Graduate Fixed Prosthodontics, School of Dentistry, Medical College of Georgia
- Director of Undergraduate Removable Prosthodontics, School of Dentistry, Medical College of Georgia
- Certified by the American Board of Prosthodontics, 1990
- Fellow of the American College of Prosthodontics, 1990
- Medical College of Georgia, Prosthodontics/Periodontics, 1985
- Georgetown University School of Dentistry, D.D.S., 1982
- UC San Diego, Revelle College, B.A. Experimental Psychology, 1977
- Past President Charleston Dental Society
Dr. Richardson Creates Charleston’s Beautiful Smiles.
Regain your smile and your confidence with dental implants. Call Dr. Richardson in Charleston today to schedule your consultation appointment. If you have any questions about Smile and Dental Implant Restorations call us at (843) 766-5333
We value your privacy.
Website development by Website Optimization